12.18.2006

Round up:The Spice is Right IX: Warm me up baby...it's cold outside

I have felt honored to host this last guest installment of The Spice is Right for Barbara over at Tigers and Strawberries . I know she has her hands full with her new arrival - I remember all those years ago when I thought I just couldn't keep my eyes open through one more 3 am feeding.

First on the list is Rinku of Cooking in Westchester who made a fantastic Indian-style pickle using Bengali Five spice powder and rutabagas. I have to admit I am intrigued by the combination. I am just starting to learn to make some Indian food at home, and pickles are an essential part of the cuisine. The Bengali spice mix sounds like a fantastic combination of flavors and would perfect on cold cold day to warm me up while eating dal and rice...Thanks Rinku!

Next is Sher over at What Did You Eat? She cooked a wonderful Pork Stew with Orange and Fennel served over soft polenta. And why did she choose this dish? Because the hunky author gave her a warm warm feeling in places we can't mention in polite company! It's a good thing she was so motivated, as the stew was a lot of work, but turned out luscious. Thanks for all your hard work Sher - I know your tummy thanked you.

Indira of Mahanandi shared with us a recipe that she tested for a cookbook of Afghan recipes. The recipe uses split peas and small tender okra - which has become one of my favorite veggies recently. The spicing is very simple and uses dill as one of the major flavor components. I can see making this when the gang comes over for gaming night - warming and filling. Now that Indira has moved to Seattle, she won't need as much warming up as she used to as when she live here in Ohio!

I love learning new things - it is what keeps me young. When Lakshmiammal of Cook Food, Serve Love submitted her recipe for Spicy Green Pepper Stew, I have to admit I had never heard of one of the ingredients before. Vadagams or spices balls are a traditional seasoning method in the cooking of her home region and something new to this fan of spicy cooking.

Priya of Sugar and Spice came up with the perfect beverage to warm us up in the cold Ohio winters - Masala Chai. There is nothing like hot tea on a nasty wet day and this takes that pleasure to the next level. Now I just have to get my hubby to try it...


With all the cookie baking and running to visit friends, I have been seriously strapped for time. So it's a good thing that Pepper of Frugal Cusine has come up with the simple, spicy pasta called spaghetti cacio e pepe. A simple dish that is nothing but three simple ingredients:Pecorino Romano cheese, pepper and pasta. This is going into my permanent recipe file...


Here is something else to keep you warmed up from Sarah at Food Avenue: A Japanese curry. An import from India, the Japanese have made this curry their own. And while Sarah is right, it doesn't look like all that but I know it would taste delicious . (I love Japanese food!!)


Moving onto dessert, Cindy of Food Migration has turned us onto Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread Cake. Not only does it have a healthy dose of Cindy's favorite spice, ginger, it has Guinness Stout in it as well. No need for that after dinner tipple to warm you up!


Last, there is me, Rosie, who shared a
very old family recipe from my friend Gail. This Lebkuken recipe has been in her family for a long time and not only does it have lots of warm spices, but a lot of warm feelings as well.

So thanks a lot for participating in the round up. I learned a lot and I have plenty of recipes that will keep me warm and cozy in my kitchen all winter long!
I am hoping to see you all next month at Tigers and Strawberries!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great round up, Rosie!
They all look perfect for winter !

Happy Holidays !

sher said...

Wow!! Those all look great! Thanks for doing the roundup!!!!

Norma said...

Wonderful photos of foods I'll never eat. Great job. I'm also a Columbus blogger, but not such a great cook. Fun to read about, however.

Elizabeth said...

Rats!! How did I miss hearing about this?! Great theme and lovely roundup too.

-Elizabeth